The purpose of this blog is to inform the class of America’s “Top 9 Hip Hop Entrepreneurs of 2012” and the various business ventures in different industries that contributed to their individual successes.
Countdown Top 9 Hip Hop Entrepreneurs of 2012: #5 Lil’ Wayne
Name: Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr.
Stage Name(s): Lil’ Wayne
Forbes Hip Hop’s Top Earners List: #5 of 9
How Much??? $27 MILLION
Turn on MTV, in fact, turn on any entertainment channel for that matter, and there’s a good chance you’ll see Lil’ Wayne. I swear – he’s everywhere. Many of us know who he is and what’s he’s done in the music industry already, so I’ll cut right to the chase.
Here are some of many business ventures and endorsements that I’ve found that Lil’ Wayne has been on in the past decade:
1. The business venture that triggered all the other ventures in his career – the creation of Young Money Entertainment record label back in 2003. Young Money (which is now called YMCMB, a joint record label with Birdman’s label) is now arguably the hottest record label out today. Just look at their impressive artist lineup: Christina Milian, Cory Gunz, Drake, Flow, Gudda Gudda, Jae Millz, Lil’ Chuckee, Lil’ Twist, Mack Maine, Nicki Minaj, PJ Morton, Shanell, Short Dawg, T-Streets, Torion, and Tyga.
2. Exclusively partnered with Bogey Cigars in 2008 to market different flavored cigars. (If you enter the site, you’ll see Lil’ Wayne face everywhere. Here is the link: http://www.bogeycigars.com)
3. Partnered with SUPRA shoe line to introduce the new “Chimera” in June 2012 (He premiered the new kicks in Las Vegas on August 20, 2012. Here is the link: http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/08/21/lil-wayne-debuts-supra-sneakers-vegas/)
4. Moutain Dew is working with Lil’ Wayne to campaign “DEWeezy” that includes advertisement appearances and building a skate park in Lil Wayne’s hometown. Here is a clip of one of his commercials:
5. Lil’ Wayne will be releasing a book called “Gone Till November” May 14, 2013. His book is about his incarceration from March to November back in 2010. (If you’re a Lil’ Wayne fan, his book is originally listed as $25.99, but it’s $17.15 if you buy it on Amazon! Here is the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Till-November-Lil-Wayne/dp/1455515264)
6. Lil’ Wayne released his new clothing line “TRUKFIT” in early 2012. (For more info, here is the link: http://trukfit.com/)
7. Partnered with Beats by Dre to create his own bright-red “Tunechi Beats” headphones. (Here is the link: http://keepittrill.com/online/2012/09/lil-wayne-celebrates-tunechi-beats-dre-headphone-release-pictures/)
I’ve always heard that a successful businessman has at least three sources of income; Lil’ Wayne has AT LEAST seven. In one of his recent radio interviews, he stated that he wishes to retire at the age of 35 to focus more on his children – I’d say he’s on the right track, wouldn’t you say?
Lil’ Wayne is the 5th most successful and influential hip hop entrepreneur in 2012 – coming in with $27 Million.
And I promise, this is the last time we’ll be talking about another Cash Money member.
(In a couple days, I will post up #4! So please stay tuned! Let’s count down to #1 together!)
By: Aaron Kim (Duke)
*Other sources are provided within the post.