Billboard’s Maximum Exposure chart ranks the 75 most effective platforms in music discovery. Essentially this chart rates the best ways to generate buzz and drive sales of a music release for established stars. The panel who creates this list is made up of prominent artist managers, record label executive, publicists and agents.
They compare various platforms such as TV advertisements, Super Bowl performances, coverage on Fox’s Glee, YouTube videos, social media activity, and many other platforms that help generate excitement to an artist’s release.
The top ten promotional platforms for this year where:
1. A Superbowl halftime-show performance
2. A Grammy Awards performance
3. Homepage placement on iTunes
4. Placement in TV commercial that runs during a special event
5. A performance on Saturday Night Live
6. An artist’s first arena-level headlining tour
7. Placement in a high-rotation TV ad for a leading car company
8. A performance during the Country Music Association Awards
9. Placement in a high-rotation TV ad for a leading shoe brand
10. A performance on Coachella’s mainstage
Simon Cowell is trying to launch X Factor USA winners using maximum exposure platforms, last year’s winner performed during half time at the Superbowl and this year’s winner will be performing at the Grammy’s next year.